AIX Recovering root Password
From UNIX Systems Administration
Recover root Password
- The CD/DVD media for the release is required, same Major, Minor, Current or Higher Technology Level.
- Boot system into SMS Mode.
- Select the DVD/CD as a boot device.
- Define your current system as the system console by pressing the F1 key and then press Enter.
- Select the number of your preferred language.
- Choose Start Maintenance Mode for System Recovery by typing 3.
- Select: Access a Root Volume Group.
- Type 0.
- Type the number of the appropriate volume group from the list.
- Select Access this Volume Group and start a shell by typing 1.
- At the # (number sign) prompt, type the passwd command.
- Sync to disk.
- # sync;sync;sync;reboot